Psalm 34:8

Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Psalm 34:8

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Facts


Here are some random facts of life:

  1. I wake up around 5:30 am, and I'm usually in bed by 9:00 pm.  But yesterday I splurged and was up until 10:00!  It was worth talking on the phone with my brother.
  2. What do we eat here?
    1. Breakfast – 6:30 am: hot cereal (I had to get used to that one), breakfast sandwiches, refried beans with corn tortillas, or oatmeal (They strain the oats out of the oatmeal, so it's like thick, hot milk. But it's not bad!)

      Chocolate Rice Krispies are my favorite cereal to have with hot milk, because after I finish the cereal, I have hot chocolate!

    2. Lunch – 12:10 pm: chicken and rice, stir fry noodle things, rice and beans, spaghetti, and sometimes we get an “American” meal of fried chicken, cole slaw, and mashed potatoes or french fries! Those days are my favorite!

    3. Dinner – 4:30 pm. Baleadas (refried beans, eggs, and mantequilla all wrapped up in a flour tortilla), sandwiches, hotdogs, pizza, or hamburgers.

      This is fried tortillas (tostadas, I think), with refried beans, cheese, and salsa.  The green jalopeno salsa Marta makes is delicious!
  3. In a mall in Tegucigalpa, there is a movie theater full of recliners -- for only $6.50/ticket.  The USA needs to get with the program and give the gift of lazy-boy seating to it's cinema-loving citizens.


  4. In many public restrooms here, you get the toilet paper you need BEFORE you enter the stall. I have finally started to remember this before someone has to remind me …
  5. Power outages are regular here, and the teacher's cabins is the only place without a generator. Living in the dark isn't always bad, though. It just means more stars and less bugs when you sit outside! 
    1. If I had a nickel for every bug bite I've gotten in Honduras ... 
  6. In Honduras, Pepsi is better than Coke. (That's coming from a girl who's been a die-hard Coke fan all her life!)
  7. Without constant internet or phone service, I have lots of down time, so I read. I sit on a chair outside or lay on my bed (those are pretty much my only two options), and I read.
    1. Books I've read/finished reading:
      1. Tortured for Christ, by Rev. Richard Wurmbrand
      2. Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus, by Nabeel Qureshi
      3. The Hiding Place, by Corrie Ten Boom
      4. Growing Up Duggar, by Jana, Jill, Jessa, and Jinger Duggar
      5. Sex, Dating, and Relationships, by Gerald Hiestand (I read this one a couple weeks ago, and I'm rereading it already! It's a great book about biblical dating in the modern world. Singles, go read it.)
    2. Books I am currently reading:
      1. (Rereading) The Hunger Games Trilogy, by Suzanne Collins
      2. Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austin
      3. Anything: The Prayer that Unlocked My God and My Soul, by Jennie Allen (for Wednesday afternoon Women's Bible study)
      4. The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears, by Mark Batterson (for Monday night teachers' bible study)
      5. (Audiobook) One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp
  8. Marching bands have made it to Honduras, people!  A nearby school came to perform for the GSCA students.  They only had percussion instruments, but this former band student was grinning from ear to ear.   

    Some of my 4th grade students performed a traditional dance at the Independence Day program.
  9. Speaking of music, I'll be teaching music classes for the bilingual students next year!  I'm super excited about this opportunity, and I've been brainstorming ways to use the resources that will be available to me (since musical instruments are limited).  I was sitting outside yesterday (reading in my chair), when I started thumping my newly-finished Coke bottle on the arm rest.  Then I had an idea!  Not only could we use coke bottles as home-made percussion instruments (there are so many different percussive sounds that can come from one bottle), but we could also fill them with water and use them as melodic instruments (you know how when you blow across the top of a bottle, it makes a sound?).  So I spent a good hour in my bathroom trying to map out the notes on the Coke bottle.  It's not perfect (I had trouble with  G, G#, A, and E), but it's a start.  I even got two more bottles and made a chord with G, B, and D!  
Love you guys!  


No comments:

Post a Comment