Psalm 34:8

Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Psalm 34:8

Monday, October 19, 2015

Changes

Yesterday was an amazing Sunday.  It was the kind of Sunday that you wish for when you go to bed on Saturday night -- a peaceful one spent with people you love and enjoy.  It was the kind of Sunday that carries you through the rest of the week.

Yesterday before dinner, I spent about an hour sitting in a rocking chair outside of Casa Verde, overlooking the valley view that is so familiar to me.  It is one of the most beautiful views I know.

As I sat, I spent some time reflecting on this year and I thought to myself, "How did I get here?"  Do you ever have those moments?  I laughed to myself as I thought, "Only God could have done this, and it is beautiful."

So many changes have taken place since I first stepped foot on the property of the Good Shepherd Children's Home in January 2012.  Over 3 and a half years later, my life is drastically different from what it was then.

But the children I loved back then have also changed.

Children who once came up to the top of my stomach are now taller than me.  Boys' voices have dropped.  The little girls I played make-believe with underneath kitchen tables are now gaining new, curvy figures and preteen girl attitudes.

It is amazing to watch their lives unfold.  And I get to stop and look back on it with such gratitude in my heart that God would allow me to live life with them.

I get to be their teacher, their friend, their mentor.  I get to spend Sunday afternoons with them -- being silly and playing games and making memories.

Oh, what a privilege this is.  I love my job.

---------------------------

A few months ago, I did a Time-Lapse project.  I gathered some pictures I took during my first trips in 2012, and I had the kids help me re-create them.  It is so interesting to see what has and hasn't changed in 3 and a half years.  I have loved seeing those changes, and Lord-willing, I am excited to see more in the years to come.



Lester -- Then: 10 years old.  Now: 14 

Jennifer Yolany -- Then: 12 years old.  Now: 16
Armando (my Honduran BFF) -- Then: 13 years old.  Now: 17
Me Then: 20 years old.  Now: 24
Casitas -- Then and Now


Brother and Sister Lily and Lester -- Lily Then: 5 years old.  Now: 9

Jorge -- Then: 13 years old.  Now: 16
School Stage -- Then and Now
School Basketball Court -- Then and Now

School Flag Pole -- Then and Now

No comments:

Post a Comment